View Single Post
Old 24 Aug 2015, 22:57 (Ref:3568422)   #431
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Is it? My perception is that we've had more injuries like this (very few) than fires (almost none) over the last few years? Although I have no data to back this perception.

I agree that it may introduce other issues though, as discussed previously.
Since I posted this in 2011: Post 2 in this thread

"All the drivers know that when they step into the car there is a chance they might not be stepping out alive,"

I find the above statement offensive. Just because a driver accepts a risk in order to do something he loves, does not mean that everyone should not continue trying to mitigate known risks.

The canopies would be a good idea!
We may still have Alan Stacey, Mike Spence, Helmut Koeinnig, Tom Pryce, Ayrton Senna, Henry Surtees and probably would have prevented Massa's injury.
Heading into an accident with your head exposed, when a car rides up over yours or an object comes toward you on a race track does not seem very bright. (Besides adds more road car relevance )

We have lost / injured

De Villota
Wheldon
Bianchi
Wilson
De Jong?

Whilst we can argue whether or not a canopy would have prevented any one of the above, it surely would not have aggravated the situation, and head and neck injury is surely now the most common injury in open wheel racing, so any mitigating factor would have to be good!