View Single Post
Old 26 Aug 2015, 06:02 (Ref:3568822)   #448
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why don't they just use a windscreen or something? Sure, as soon as something hits it it'll probably break, but that may end up slowing down said object to a speed that perhaps none of these deaths would have occurred and it wasn't fast enough to go through the helmet. As long as it doesn't shatter itself and send plastic all into the visor.

Or perhaps a stronger helmet material?

That fin design above looks ridiculous and all I can see is a big object right in the drivers line of sight.

A rollcage around the head is going to look silly as well.

Ultimately, motorsports is and always will be dangerous. Turning single seaters into enclosed cockpits and therefore basically making them WEC; well didn't a WEC driver die a year or two ago, one of the Aston Martin drivers... I can die tomorrow driving to work, heck I very nearly had a crash today by some idiot turning across me and me being impatient. Maybe we should just stay as is, but try to minimise the symptoms of this happening. More debris detection, quicker yellows.

JW's accident was a freak accident and there was no way JW was going to slow down in time. But Indycar has a problem with these big ovals. This was another one with seven wide cars and extremely high speed crashes, where the cars are running too fast and too close to each other. JW may have been able to avoid the debris better if it wasn't a high speed oval. Some of the crashes in that race happened far too easily, a tiny interruption of cornering, or lack of grip like Helio and your hard into the wall. Kimball's accident in practise could have had far worse results.

I was watching the highlights from JW's last win at Texas in 2012, and noticed how strung out the field was, like it used to be Indycar lately has extremely close oval racing. That race at Pocono easily set a new record for lead changes. Good for spectators, but perhaps too dangerous...