Thread: Formula 5000
View Single Post
Old 17 May 2004, 07:35 (Ref:973023)   #8
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F5000s are now better prepared, more reliable, and better built for historic racing than they ever were during their 'day'. Not only that, in historic events they are not driven nearly as aggresively as they were by the professionals who originally campaigned them.

The current drivers race them for fun, to enjoy the cars for what they are, and to provide a much appreciated spectacle for enthusiastic punters. I can't think of any cases in historic events where the cars have threatened the lives of their drivers, pitcrew, or any spectators. In this world of political correctness, and insurance claims, no race organiser would allow any form of race class that could result in death or injury. They'd be out of business overnight.

I was too young to remember the F5000s in the 70's, but thanks to a large number of very enthusiastic F5000 car owners, and the advent of historic race meetings, I at least get to enjoy them the second time around. An F5000, like any historic race car, is one thousand times more beautiful driven at speed, than it is gathering cobwebs in a museum.

Fortunately Pierre, you seem to have the minority vote this time.