View Single Post
Old 4 Feb 2021, 11:11 (Ref:4033396)   #69
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's beautiful JT. For those of us in The Stupido Club please tell us more. What's under the body?

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
What happened to the rest of the Alfa?
Thanks, Joe.

Sorry guys for delay, but JR has touched upon it.

Long story but will try to keep it short. It's a 1936 Talbot BA75 (Straight 6 2300cc). It once carried a standard Talbot Sports saloon body but like so many that gradually fell apart.

Seperately, according to Simon Moore's book on the Alfa 2300, this one off Corsica body, was chopped down to return the Alfa to a Le Mans type roadster (more valuable but I know which body I'd prefer).

However, I came upon this car at Ivor Bleaney's (about 2003/2004) in the New Forest (an advert in Motor Sport IIRC). Something about it looked familiar (and desirable!), so with some redundancy money in my pocket, I and my eldest son, Kev, went down to look at it where I was informed that the Talbot body had been fitted with one discarded from an Alfa 2300 by a Lord (name temporarily forgotten!). Short story is I bought it. The engine ran but it couldn't be driven as the water pump had broken, so trailered back to my place. I had some bodywork done but then life got in the way and it sat in the driveway, and then in my garage when I moved to Lincolnshire, until a couple of years ago when Gareth was given the very dubious task of sorting it.

Back to the body - I was able to contact Simon and send him a picture, and he confirmed that it was indeed the same body, and that he had clearly been misinformed by the owner of the Alfa, that it had been modified into an open touring body. Anyway, enough of this; here's a photo of an Alfa I took in the late 1960s in a Silverstone car park. Not surprising that the body on the Talbot looked familiar. The second shows the Talbot shortly after I acquired it:-
Attached Thumbnails
ALFA_8C___2300_CORSICA.JPG   TALBOT_BA75_CORSICA___1936.JPG  

Last edited by John Turner; 4 Feb 2021 at 11:19.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!