View Single Post
Old 4 Jan 2018, 20:06 (Ref:3790698)   #168
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Obviously the new engine is the priority, but I guess my point is - what's the point of a Plan B, when Plan B is already as bad as a failed Plan A?

It's like saying that Plan A is to win the game. If Plan A fails, then Plan B is to lose the game. Utilising the Plan B, you're no further forward.
I would say that you suggest a non-existent scenario. It wasn't until late in 2017 that the 2017 engine was producing power at the level of the 2016 engine at the end of 2016. So if they find themselves in a scenario in which 2018 engine is significantly deficient "at the start of the season" (when compared to how things were at the end of 2017), then maybe it does make sense to start 2018 with the 2017 engine.

Also the start of 2018 and 2017 are two radically different scenarios. 2017 was a totally new design. 2018 will be an evolution (less likely to have negative surprises). So short of unexpected reliability issues (or more likely, unfinished reliability testing), we will probably see the 2018 engine at pre-season testing. Of course, there is still room for a massive and unexpected issue to arise. Never say never at this point with Honda! I am a fan, but I am also realistic.

Anyhow... I feel like I am belaboring my points. I think I am generally saying the same thing over and over again. So I am likely to cool down my posting on this until we have something "new" to talk about. I think at this point it is unlikely to sway the opinions of people. And in the end it really doesn't matter. It is just my opinion which is based upon speculation and my own reading. We will just have to wait and see what happens in pre-season testing when we have cars on track.

And... its going to be a long wait until pre-season testing! With an absence of news all we can do is speculate! I think pre-season testing is...

2/26 - 3/1
3/6 - 3/9

There is always a chance for more news to leak out between now and then, but for the most part, I expect it to be relatively quiet until right before the testing starts. I would love to hear some news leak out from the Torro Rosso side of the house.

Richard