View Single Post
Old 30 Apr 2018, 16:05 (Ref:3818417)   #14
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
What benefit would it give? You'd still have 20+ cars bowling into the first few corners close together, with the added risk of shenanigans approaching the start.
Agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Well, not that there’s a direct comparison, the FIA Historic F1 championship utilises rolling starts, AND also no overtaking until a nominated turn on the first lap. All cars to remain line astern until then.

The rolling starts are mainly to reduce possible transmission damage and therefore cost, the ‘no overtaking until turn X’ rule to reduce early corner accidents.....

Would I want to see that in modern F1? No.
I wasn't aware of how that works, but I can imagine it would work in that scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
The empirical evidence shows that there is less damage at a SC start than normal standing start. Although in some ways I hate the idea of rolling starts, I do like the idea that we could have more healthy cars running at the end of lap 1.

Rolling starts could be line astern. After all, we've gone from 3-2-3 to 2-2 to staggered. It's just one more step.

I'm only putting the idea out there to see what people say. Personally like the idea of more car running properly, but hate the idea of yet more dumbing down.
As you say, single file would help. But... sadly given the even nature/performance of these car "while at speed", the somewhat random nature of standing starts provides some dose of excitement to what many thing are boring races. I think it would be dumbing it down too much.

My opinion is that F1 is either "a" or "the" top level in open wheel racing. Let them figure out how to navigate the first corner without it ending their race. Its part of what makes the actual race results different than just setting quick times in qualifying (and then awarding points based upon time only).

Richard