View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2607068)   #16
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
It was sad to see the old “Lighter Side” struck from the site with little or no ceremony. May I applaud Iain for creating what must have been the most successful thread ever. Certainly it is the thread that has given me the greatest pleasure over the last year.

At the nouvelle cuisine function at Raymond Blanc’s Ace Cafe some of you asked me where on earth was Graves.

If you have Google Earth: first home in on France, then the Poitou-Charentes. Centralise between Angouleme and Cognac and keep zooming in.

South East of Jarnac you will see Graves- Saint- Amant. If you zoom in on Graves Saint Amant the hamlet of Graves will suddenly appear! There are a few photos taken (I know not by whom) and you can see these by clicking on the little blue boxes.

“Graves 2” shows the hamlet with the vineyard to the left of the church and the barn, in which Delta and Alan Morgan have slept, in the middle. My house is in photograph “Graves 16”.
Agreed. Great thread Iain and good idea John T. as well. Not sure you should be disappointed, John, by its natural appeal attracting so many posts. After all surely that it simply illustrates that the popularity of Historic racing is for the social (I shudder to suggest 'gossip') aspects of the sport as much as, perhaps more so than, the competitive angle. Which is really how it should be. Indeed having watched the Video documentaries about Graham Hill and Jim Clark in the last week or so I would suggest that such a balance was exactly what the top levels of Motor Racing were mostly about 'back in the day'.

Comte - fascinating links to your hamlet. They are also available directly from Google maps for those who don't have Google Earth installed.

Confusingly the 'locations' of the photos seems to be slightly incorrect since they appear in two clusters. I reckon the left hand cluster (as seen from the Map view) is the correct position - am I right?

BTW - what was all that stuff about the coffee at the Ace meeting?

Coffee?

In a caff?

Good grief people - you KNOW it should have been TEA, in a mug, either very weak or very strong and with AT LEAST 3 heaped teaspoons (if larger spoons not available) of white sugar.

Tush tush. I hope you all had the fried bread to compensate for the coffee selection. (Damned continental habits, mutter mutter, etc., etc.)

There were young people there who needed a proper grounding British Historic Cafe Culture (and cultures by the sound of things). How are they supposed to obtain that knowledge if people go about drinking coffee in a caff? (Please tell me no one had a latte ....)