View Single Post
Old 6 Apr 2017, 09:19 (Ref:3724117)   #229
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VXDave View Post
What is surprising is that in the S2000 days, the BMWs had to run 40kg (IIRC) heavier than FWD cars, if they used the sequential 'box (again, IIRC).

It does seem strange that a weight penalty for RWD wasn't implemented in the rules for NGTC from the outset (or at least when the rules were altered to accommodate RWD).

I wouldn't say that the RWD cars have a massive advantage, but they get an almost guaranteed benefit of being able to jump one or two (or more) cars off the line, which kind of undoes the point of qualifying to some extent. From that point, if a BM has jumped you, even though they take longer to get their tyres up to temp, it's far more difficult to pass them on the first few laps than it is for a BM to simply jump you off the line.

That said, having a mix of drives on the grid is more interesting than having it all the same, and the racing at the weekend was superb. BMs have traditionally gone well at Brands; I think some of the longer wheel base cars with the more slippery bodies will be the ones to beat at Donnington. It's set to be a fascinating season!

Also - a shout out to Senna Proctor... he may be a rookie, but three finishes in his first meeting including one points finish was a really good showing.
Having said that, wasn't NGTC designed with more FWD designed from the outset? If I recall the rear subframe was slightly redesigned in 2013 to allow for *better RWD* (in some form) - I can't recall exactly what was changed, however I believe the consensus was that the rear of the car wasn't doing what the the RWD teams wanted and a minor redesign was all they could do...?

Also the benefits of RWD really don't play out in such short races. Back in the 90s the super touring races at Brands Hatch *I think* were 30 laps each. Now they are 24 laps. This doesn't allow BMW to play their tyre preservation card at all, as the tyres barely have any drop off, (although this is dependent on what tyre the drivers are on and on what track).