View Single Post
Old 12 Apr 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3725941)   #4
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I said as much in the single seater thread. Alonso's chase for the elusive third world title has been over since he left Ferrari and now he has publicly moved on to his other dream pursuit - the Triple Crown. We know he's been courted and has expressed an interest in Le Mans before, but that will probably have to wait until he is no longer bound by the terms of his Honda contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi
Nice little reality check for F1 too - as its most popular driver sidesteps its biggest race.
This I'd contend; Alonso is still a big draw, but ultimately it's wins and titles that keep F1 drivers relevant and Fernando has been well short in this regard as of late. I agree with your point though - it would be churlish for anybody to play this off as simply Alonso being fed up with McLaren & Honda. However, if Liberty Media are on the ball they could use this to tap into the American market in a way that even Bernie didn't manage. There's a lot of goodwill amongst fans for this move from all corners, and I'm sure many people will be motivated to watch the 500 either for Alonso or for the return of McLaren (even if it is simply in name).