Thread: WEC Ginetta LMP1
View Single Post
Old 16 Dec 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3787435)   #144
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
I think they have been incredibly conservative with the torque and power figures released. For this capacity i would expect 8-900NM torque, and to be comfortably wellover 700hp.

Regarding revving to 9000rpm.....i think it boils down to how much fuel in the tank there is to burn, versus tank capacity, pit strategy and so on......the engine can be run quite hard, but if you can achieve competitive pace via short shifting and saving fuel, then thats the direction to go.

F1 engines only rev so high as the FIA mandate it to make noise and keep the fans happy, but the F1 engine folks have openly admitted the same track performance can be achieved with drastically less rpm, but the engines will otherwise sound dull as hell.
you're forgetting that is a single turbo and judging by engine displacement, I didn't expect a lot of pressure boost from the single turbo.
Indeed endurance single turbo engines with an insane pressure boost are all small sized, not over 2L (porsche V4, SGT L4, mazda AER L4).

About rpm, guess that's the simplest solution. ECU lets the engine rev up to 9000rpm, but being max power released at 7000rpm already, short shift all the way.
Actually is the same about 488 GTE, according to bop sheet, car loses turbo boost at 7100rpm (or 7500rpm, only in IMSA maybe) but during onboard, drivers always upshift just passed 6000rpm