View Single Post
Old 23 Jun 2020, 15:30 (Ref:3983425)   #81
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Why would you assume that someone will come along and inject money into a company that does not appear to have been well managed for many years?
This goes back to my earlier post about why would anyone invest in an F1 team. Especially right now. I think the only reason to do so would be if you have some money to burn and you want to be part of the "F1 lifestyle" in a big way. That can range from putting your children in a car, to just enjoy being one of the significant fish in a relatively small, but high profile pond.

As to McLaren being poorly run. My perception is that they have been on the rebound? I also think F1 teams have been running on the razors edge for a long time (even when well run). The history over the past decade or so confirms that. Teams coming and going, bankruptcy, corrupt investors/owners, frequent changing of ownership and branding, etc.

The crash and burn aspect has just been working it's way from the bottom up (weakest first). Short lived ventures like USF1, Virgin/Marussia/Manor, then mid-aged survivor like Jordan/Midland/Spyker/Force India/Racing Point and is now hitting established icons like Williams and McLaren. I am just waiting on Haas to pull out next. I expect Haas is in a wait and see regarding 2020 and maybe 2021 results. Then pulling the plug if not trending in the right direction.

We have talked for years about how it is unsustainable in current form. They couldn't have seen into the future, but in hindsight, if they had only initiated reforms earlier, then a significant kick to the system such as the Covid19 pandemic may not have hurt so much.

Richard