View Single Post
Old 23 Jun 2020, 19:03 (Ref:3983454)   #84
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
We have talked for years about how it is unsustainable in current form. They couldn't have seen into the future, but in hindsight, if they had only initiated reforms earlier, then a significant kick to the system such as the Covid19 pandemic may not have hurt so much.
but surely Mclaren and Williams were acutely aware of the size of their spending deficit and saw that gap grow over the past two decades. granted Mclaren were much closer in terms of overall budget to RB then Williams but in a sport where money/access to money equals competitive form how could they have not known what their future held?

if Adam Parr's graphic novel was to be believed, SFW cut the legs out from under his attempts to unify the smaller team in pushing for a more equal financial distribution. Ron Denis came back and ousted Whitmarsh who was himself trying to unify the teams to strengthen their bargaining position but ultimately saw those efforts fail as well.

it seems to me they had their chances to initiate reform but ultimately on an ownership/organizational level, they chose the other path.

for sure i love these teams also and have sympathy for them but live by the sword, die by the sword.