View Single Post
Old 9 Aug 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3842516)   #13
MTW
Rookie

MTW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic
The problem with highlight things like Damon finishing second at Spa is that his team mate was leading Spa before the Williams gearbox failed.
I'm not sure this is a consequential point given that Coulthard started ahead of Hill, and if Coulthard was fast in one race, faster than Hill, it wouldn't follow that Hill was poor anyway. In context my point was that on several occasions Hill charged, meaning he was many seconds back and closed the gap. The point is, drivers who can charge have good speed. Hill also charged down Schumacher in 1995 at silverstone, before Hill botched a move. Hill beat Coulthard and Villeneuve on points accumulated in 1995 and 1996.

Quote:
You can say he beat JV, but he should've beaten JV. He was a rookie to F1 and the team. If he didn't beat JV it would've been embarrassing. As it is, he almost didn't.

There's nothing particularly wrong with Damon, he just wasn't that special
Well to say Hill wasn't special, isn't really relevant unless I had claimed he was special which I clearly didn't, so you imply a bit of a strawman fallacy there, by putting words in my mouth.

Also to say Hill, "should" have beaten Villeneuve, well that's a matter of opinion. Villeneuve was already a champion in another motor sport which isn't an indication that he was a slow driver. Villeneuve shown he was a fast driver in 1996 and 1997. The cars he had after that only show that he couldn't make a slow car go fast, that's all.

Quote:
Damon wasn't really any better than DC, and few will argue DC should've been champion (and rightly so)
That's probably a fair point. I think DC was a very good driver, I wouldn't claim that Hill was much better than DC, and that wasn't my claim, but winning the title and finishing the season with more accumulated points that your teammate, does count because you can't accumulate a lot of points over your teammate by accident. (Meaning as evidence, to beat someone over a season length has to be considered as significant, unless there is some mitigating factor)