View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2016, 20:05 (Ref:3634184)   #6
pipcarder
Rookie

pipcarder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread peaked my interest after recognising the question from one of Mark Ortiz's newsletters so I thought I should register and chime in.
First of do you have a link to the regulations? It would be interesting to see what's allowed in regards to chassis modifications. I would definitely try harder rear springs and a softer RARB as an ARB will increase lateral load transfer and lift on the inside rear, you should be able to achieve a higher degree of roll resistance before you start to lift the inside rear with stiffer springs over an ARB. From reading your discussion with Mark it would be beneficial to increase rear roll resistance on the rear so you can use a softer front ARB that should decrease front lateral load transfer, increasing front cornering force but also keep the front from rolling to much as it sounds like you are in some real need of more camber.

It may be worth getting some second-hand springs and cutting a coil or two off since they have a higher spring rate that will get higher when they are cut shorter, by no means the best solution but I get the impression you don't have a massive budget for racing. it will also allow you to try progressively harder springs with the more coils cut off. With regards to increasing roll resistance on the rear, increasing the track width at the rear with spacers or a lower offset wheel will increase the amount of roll resistance that you could achieve before lifting the inside rear which is the limiting factor to roll resistance.

With regards to your worry about the inside front unweighting due to outside rear squat, this is a dynamic situation and the main effect of dynamic load transfer in the CG height and the track width/wheelbase, do not confuse suspension displacement for weight transfer; suspension displacement is the effect of weight transfer and not the cause. If anything the squatting of the rear would decrease load transfer since the CG would be lower.

A thought on corner weights, using shims under a spring would allow the corner weights to be adjusted, I imagine the front will be sensitive to static weight distribution on launch with an open diff.

If anything doesn't make sense I apologise, I have just finished a very long weekend at Castle Combe.