View Single Post
Old 25 Nov 2022, 09:30 (Ref:4134830)   #6
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Just a simple thought but, I would expect that in order to have any significant effect in reducing spray the wheel arches would have to also wrap around the sidewalls of the tyres too. Surely this will cause a problem with tyre changes should the conditions dry out?
I think the problem is more in the interaction between the tyre spray and the underside of the car in the centre. This for two reasons; 1 The underside sucks even more spray and throws it into the air and 2 I suspect the air in the centre is so turbulent that the spray is turn into a mist that reduces visibility even more and also stays suspended longer. The outside of the tyre does not have these problems (as much), so I don't expect that to be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Can see all sorts of headaches with the idea of arches.
  • Firstly, there is the question of the impact on aero - could the arches make it harder to overtake again for example?
  • Then there's the question of where the spray comes from - realistically how much is from the tyres themselves?
  • If a large percentage of the spray DOES come directly off the tyres now - does fitting wheel arches mean that spay will now be directed back onto the tyre and track surface - meaning less clearing of the track due to cars running, more risk of aquaplaning and maybe overloading the tyre's capacity to deal with water.
  • Then there is the question of attachment methodology - if fitted during a race won't be scrutineered so is there surety on how safe - also, will the arches deal OK with impacts from other cars or are they likely to fly off easily?
No doubt there are many other things to consider as that short list is straight off the top of my head on first thought.

Sounds like a thought bubble that hasn't been really examined so don't know how serious they are.
Agreed on all accounts. What if such a wheel arch make contact with a fast spinning tyre when there is contact between two cars and where will blade like shape then fly off to?
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.