View Single Post
Old 4 Jul 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2243927)   #68
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Knowing nothing of Donnington or Silverstone, except what everyone claims on here I can't really comment on the condition of either but does seem like this way done in a kinda underhanded way. Especially to announce it at Silverstone and using the wording that good old Bernie used. Sorry but to say

"We wanted a world class venue for Formula One in Britain, something that the teams and British F1 fans could be proud of. The major development plans for Donington will give us exactly that. A venue that will put British motor sport back on the map.
“I am sorry that we could not have helped Silverstone to raise the money to carry out the circuit improvements and run Formula One. I believe that the government should have supported them which would have cost probably less than .002% of the government’s commitment for the Olympic Games."

That just screams 'I hate the BRDC and now I've taken their money and their toy and now I'm leaving.' If he tried this over here in the US, I think it would be REALLY hard to get any funding or gov't cooperation without a guaranteed pay-out for each year of the race regardless of the attendance. That and I REALLY doubt he would get the necessary clearances to run the GP, be it noise during or the construction permits before.