View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2015, 20:40 (Ref:3515980)   #23
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think most of the F1 forum would agree that WEC is better than F1 atm. If they don't have that view, they'll think the club stuff is better..et al. I think the threat of mass defectors to WEC is overstated though. Doing justice to endurance racing requires a degree of time and mental commitment. F1 already pushes that envelope and bigger commitments intrudes on time available to do other legitimate things on a Saturday/Sunday. People are more likely to leave the sport outright, certainly as TV viewers. And WEC self harms itself with that paywall deterring a slate of people who might be vaguely interested and would engage having appreciated the courtesy of a free stream and would be more understanding if a stream that free was to lag for them..

F1 isn't being developed, it's been turned belly up into a gigantic trough which is the end result of the FIA defanged and the power transferred to the piranha-teams and the miser-lunatic Eccelscrooge who all pursue a narrow self interest. That's happening and it's visibly destablising the series.

And a threat to the WEC is the FIA who tend towards insidiously homogenising everything with what power they have. There's a spell people are under that assumes that F1 is 1. A success. 2. The solutions in F1 will work for any series. That 'groupthink' blatantly manifested itself when F1 changed it's points regime on basically a passing whim. Other series - who should regard themselves as independent, sovereign and stand alone - duplicated that system, without a thought, knee-jerk style. That DRS garbage also sprouts up everywhere like poison mushrooms. Look at the tracks WEC goes to, basically F1 tracks only less inspiring. There's really no need for that.

Putting it in perspective though there's only so many ways the FIA can damage the WEC. It's defined by its endurance and multiclass aspects afterall. That ain't gonna change.

But for F1, the situation is quite perilous. Prising the powers away from the piranha teams and surgically reattaching the teeth to the FIA is a nigh on impossible task now. In lieu of that or some kind of revolution the sport will crumble indefinitely in an agonising slow burning civil war. F1 is akin - or will be akin - to a "failed state".

I don't want to see that. I want to see 1995 again. I want to see CART, F1, BPR on a similar bandwidth of prestige but independent and proud surrounded by an honour guard of Super Touring/ITC (i.e their various modern equivalents) all in rude health. Unafraid to do their own thing, a relaxed confidence in their independence. There was no need for dumb gimmicks back then either. If only I had appreciated fully what we had back then and can never be again.

And btw, if you think that WEC is better than F1 or vice-versa. Don't bottle it up, lets have a tough discussion about that from time to time.

Last edited by Paradise City; 16 Mar 2015 at 20:48.