View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2015, 21:05 (Ref:3515995)   #24
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Yep. I remember saying something to that effect a while ago on here. As someone who has made the migration from the series-that-shall-not-be-named there was a bit of trepidation about the "noisy neighbour" effect which lead to me lurking for a while before deciding to, errrm, contribute. I also don't like how it has become in some way fashionable to criticise F1 incessantly. I understand it to a point - the implication behind the criticisms is that sportscar racing should be getting more coverage and recognition because it does so many things better. But even then constantly inviting the comparison comes across as not only a bit sour grapes, but like a broken record as well.
F1 deserves all the criticism it gets these days. It sounds like a broken record because F1 keeps going farther in trying to make all the cars equal so it is all about the drivers and many traditional fans, like myself, are unhappy about it. There are so many sports, nearly all, where it is about the athlete. The technology is secondary and in many sports, the technology has been limited because it detracts from seeing who is the best athlete.

Auto racing was different. The technology was always a key part of the sport. For many decades, there was a lot of debate about whether racing drivers were athletes at all.

Sportscar racing has maintained a technological presence, and that distinction is an important part of why the series is doing very well now. Fans unhappy with F1's direction are finding WEC does a good job exciting them with technological advancement.

Ironically, because the rules allow a little space for the designers to play, it provides better racing action by reducing the parade effect because different cars are better at different parts of the track.