View Single Post
Old 25 Feb 2020, 05:14 (Ref:3959689)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
You answered your own question, IMHO. Most of those drivers were also not racing. Those that were, had to take a permit to help ensure that they gained that respect. I'm quite content for 100,000 drivers to have to take that permit if it prevents one fatal crash which could jeopardise the future of a unique and wonderful track.
Didn't quite make myself clear on what I was referring to. My reference was to the thousands of first time Racers, not the many thousands of TF drivers we get here every season. Some go into attack mode on their first or second lap. Not the ideal frame of mind that apparently video games tend to encourage for some drivers. Only one of many instances from last year alone was of an Asian guy who was proudly announcing that he had done 1300 laps on his computer game. He opted for for just one lap of instruction.
On board camera of the rented car shows him dropping Dow to Breidscheid Bridge, dabbed the brakes way too early, accelerated as hard as he could, then suddenly realised he wasn't where he thought he was braked hard approximately one and a half meters from the right side wall. Car was almost totalled as the wall was harder than the car. Driver was OK though I think.
Yes, the Nordschleife is unique, I love Instructing and racing here. The place needs real life learning though for the surface and gradient changes etc etc.