Thread: Spa 6 hrs
View Single Post
Old 4 Oct 2022, 18:55 (Ref:4128680)   #266
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Good evening chaps . Stuck in a IBIS 24 miles from Dijon . Me and Stew biked to the track today and I’m cream crackard . My report from Spa . We went back to old engine as the new one I built was breathing . It might of got better as the rings bedded in and indeed it went very well when I tested her on the road . Did not want to take a chance . David brought the car to Spa and sorted just about everything as I was running DrBob and Juniors . Went out for qualy and did couple of laps and all was good . David did his laps and we put new tyres on and David scrubbed them in ready for the race . Off he goes at the start and ran well for 90 mins or so . All good now my turn for 150 mins the max you are allowed to do . Gilbert going well but I am not enjoying the very poor driving Std from most of the GT 40. I was pushed of the track twice and also the Aston pushed me off . To be honest I was bored and pounding arround keeping out of everyone’s way . Hey Ho time rattled on and with 15 min to go I was saved as the Alternator light came on and by now it was dark so I pitted early to change the unit . It was a bit hit but we got it done in a few minuets . This left our David to finish off the race . After half an hour we see he has stopped . Getting messages back from the crew and we think it’s the diff . I give the team a brief on what needs to be done and we are ready to receive David from low loader and change the diff . The team were brilliant and everyone did their job . Just as I was pulling the near side half shaft it looked like the bearing had failed . Dissapointing as we had replaced all the bearings back at Delta HQ. Never mind we had the job done and got David back out for the last hour and to the finish . Conditions were awful this last few laps and David did us proud . ?. After 30 years of driving , team manager ., mechanic for the 6 hour this by far has been the worse with driving stds. I will have a long think as to weather all the time , prep, money is worth doing this race again .There were to many GT40’s with very poor driving . Hey Ho . We move on and Dr Bob and myself will drive in the 300K race at Dijon this weekend . Best wishes from the lonely race mechanic stuck in the IBIS .