View Single Post
Old 28 May 2020, 04:58 (Ref:3978826)   #227
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
So I wanted to toss out an idea, but I am concerned that it will inadvertently come across as nationalistic and even play to national stereotypes (neither are my intent). I am mostly curious as to thought of those who live and operate in Europe vs. my outside view. I may well be very much off base here.

Regarding "blame culture". Might some of that go back to native legal systems which have roots in either continental or common law? In that "continental law" can be more "inquisitorial" in nature (not particularly sympathetic for the potentially innocent). Examples being cases such as the trial to determine fault in Aryton Senna's death or (I hate to bring this up given the polarizing views...) Amanda Knox. In which there is a strong desire to assign blame to someone. Even to the point of pinning a target on someone early on and then cranking the handle of the system to get the desired outcome (which may not be "the truth"). That this permeates the culture. In this case Ferrari's F1 team?

Richard
Actually, Richard, the civil law legal system is much less confrontational than the common law systems, in particular if you look at criminal law that you mentioned with Amanda Knox. If you look at particularly the American system it is a lot about the district attorney trying to win the case and making sure they have enough so the defendant gets convicted. Of course the continental public prosecutors also want to get a win, but the investigations are set up much more broadly and neutral.

The same is true in civil law matters where the plaintiff has to bring the evidence to suppport their case other than in common law where it just needs to be a good story that pushes the judge to move into discovery/disclosure where both parties need to provide documents that might support either side.

With that little excursion to the legal systems in terms of Ferrari it is probably much more what crmalcolm said than any legal system/blame culture.