View Single Post
Old 20 Aug 2006, 01:39 (Ref:1686863)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Wow! What a question! Only five, ehh. Well being pretty ancient means I have a bit of an odd list and in no particular order:

Mario Andretti - peerless in American and darn fine in European racing: absolutely one of the most versatile drivers ever.

Michael Schumacher - a master behind the wheel - peerless team builder - perhaps unmatched on the technical (engineering) side.

Niki Lauda - "Super Rat." Extraordinary combination of brains, guile, skill and guts.

Graham Hill - personification of the "club" era of F1 before it went "corporate."

JM Fangio - the "benchmark" by which we still measure driver greatness.

Honourable mention: Clay Regazzoni, Ronnie Peterson, James Hunt, Jim Clark, Jody Scheckter, Reutemann, Emmo, Bruce McLaren, Mark Donohue, John Surtees, Black Jack Brabham, Jackie Stewart, JP "Jumper" Jarier, Phil Hill, Nigel Mansell...and, well, can I pick 15 instead of five???

Last edited by JohnSSC; 20 Aug 2006 at 01:41.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.