Old 1 Sep 2021, 20:55 (Ref:4071553)   #38
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I went yesterday and enjoyed it . F2 was terrific , as was FF1600 . I was also very taken with the Skylines and Sierra etc race. Thin grid, but one hell of a spectacle aurally and visually , especially close range at Deer Leap .

But ...as has been the trend for years , the Gold Cup lacks a sense of occasion . I remember being in a big crowd watching Flavien Marcais in the shrieking BRM P180 , big names like Soper in Touring cars and huge car club displays. It feels more like a village fete now - charming in its way but a bit parochial .

I guess every circuit and club is fishing in the same pool , and just like the rather lame Donington Historic 'Festival', the Gold Cup is suffering . There's room for club events run by HSCC and the excellent CSCC, and also for the big league Silverstone Classic and Goodwood - but not that much in between ?
Also went and enjoyed myself greatly- personally I like that village fete vibe which is an apt observation
Enjoyed your book by the way

IMHO life is too short for spectating at Silverstone

I suspect something like touring cars will fill the slot at OP which isn’t my cup of Assam