Old 13 Jan 2008, 07:56 (Ref:2105093)   #8
PZR
Racer

Japan
London, UK.
PZR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
The cars raced in Australia by Fred Gibson's team (DR30's, HR31's & GTRs) were built & developed in Australia, had backing from Nissan Australia, so were very much 'works' cars. Peter Jackson (cigarette brand) was just the team sponsor.

The only other term to describe them would be 'factory' entries, but since the team wasn't run from by Nissan themselves (The Bluebird's raced in Group C from 1981-1984 is a different story), then 'works' cars is the best description.
I can understand your viewpoint, but still find it hard to describe the Gibson cars as 'Works' cars in the same way that the NISMO cars were 'Works' cars. They are clearly two quite different situations. No disrespect to Gibsons ( quite the opposite ) but I think it is far more accurate to describe their cars as 'Works-supported' or the 'Factory designated' Australian team when the NISMO operation in Japan was working so closely with Nissan to develop and homologate the cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
The Australian Skylines (particularly the GTR) were quicker than the Nismo cars anyway, Nismo blocked the Australian car from coming to to the Fuji 500 in the early 90s because to quote Fred his cars were "too quick" and would make Nismo look bad......
You're bringing the R32 into it here - which is something I have a lot more personal experience of in period. It's interesting to read the "...we were faster" type comments ( on this forum even ) whilst wondering how such comments can be chucked around so freely without ever being questioned. It strikes me that many of the people who repeat such comments actually seem to have very little true understanding of the situation - which was a lot more complicated than Gibson's "too quick" comment will get across. Still, it's nice and easy to do - and 'The Japanese' (TM) don't answer back, do they?

It would be nice to see more balanced versions of these stories, but it's probably hoping for too much.