View Single Post
Old 1 Mar 2017, 23:19 (Ref:3715677)   #6
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I don't know for sure, but I thought FOM (or some other corporate entity) was an umbrella for various bits and pieces including (?) the broadcasting side. I would be absolutely shocked if it wasn't part of the deal with Liberty. Why would they buy it if they couldn't control the media contracts?

Being in the US, I have no real understanding about what all Sky does with respect to F1, but I assume they have broadcast rights for the UK? I assume Liberty is working on big picture issues vs trying to solve them on country at a time (even if so much of F1 is consolidated in the UK.). Lots of work to be done. Give them some time.

Richard
I believe that BCE kept the filming side separate from the broadcasting. If my memory on this is correct, the filming side was controlled by him even before the split up in 2010 with the FIA, and it was run for Mr E by a chap called Baker. For some races, the locals supplied and handled the cameras, but for many races it was all done by Baker's people who also controlled the editing and the output that was broadcast.

Sky have bought the rights to broadcast all the live races, whilst another channel has the rights for half the live races, plus delayed running of the remaining ones.

Interestingly enough, Sky attempted to tempt certain Virgin Media customers into taking up their sports' package through Virgin by giving them 6 weeks free viewing of the channels, including the F1 channel. I believe, because of the cost, that take-up was very low and now that F1 is nearly upon us, the free trial has ended.