Old 24 Jun 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2236539)   #15
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssss
I don't think closed tops are necessarily faster than open tops. It was just that Peugeot desperately wanted to win Le Mans this year and they did all they could. The R10 wasn't conceived for such huge steps from one year to the next in its development as Audi were used to the developing pace of the private opponents they mainly had so far (in 2000, BMW didn't further develop the LMR, Cadillac wasn't strong enough, Bentley was still Audi etc.). But I do think Audi could build from scratch an open top to run just as fast and well as the 908.
It's not just Pugeot that I am referring to. The Charouz Lola Aston and the Dome S102 outpaced the open cars right out of the gate. I am no aerodynamicist, but I would be highly inclined to believe that there is a big advantage in downforce created by the windscreen and top of a closed top car. Likewise, I would be inclined to believe that the design is inherently better in a straight line. Anyone with an advanced knowledge of aerodynamics feel free to correct me if I am wrong.