View Single Post
Old 19 Oct 2011, 01:04 (Ref:2973616)   #160
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble View Post
How the hell did you work that out? Use the right materials and construction and it shouldn't be necessary to be more than 5-6mm tops. Car windscreens are only around 3-4mm thick, and have a much larger frontal area than would be necessary on an F1 car...and F1 screens would be stronger in frontal impacts due to the wraparound shape...

All that aside, I'm against canopies for F1 cars...
The FIA did tests recently using jet fighter canopy (links probably somewhere in this thread). So I believe he was basing his assumption upon the thickness of a F16 canopy which are a bit over 1" thick.

I also don't think the thickness of car windshields factor into this at all. They are to prevent wind and weather from getting into a vehicle and are not safety devices. It takes relatively little effort to penetrate one. Anyhow thickness is pure speculation unless someone here has experience in designing this type of thing. And I suspect that most of the experience in this area probably would be military or industrial in nature.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 19 Oct 2011 at 01:09.