View Single Post
Old 19 Oct 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2973772)   #163
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
This is wrong, they are certainly safety devices in Armour Plate and laminated safety glass form, I have seen a windshield that has prevented a .38 shell penetrating it and another that prevented a brick from penetrating it at a little over 120kph. Neither of which I would like to try with one of my helmets.

The F15 is meant to resist penetration of objcts at up to Mach 2!
For goodness sake, that's twice in a week I find myself agreeing with wnut.

Even basic car windscreen are safety devices (amongst other things), otherwise they wouldn't be expensive laminated objects. Why else do you need to carry around a hardended pointed hammer to break them if you fall in to a river (Well, I do - lots of long roads next to rivers where I live)

And yes, an F16 screen can withstand impacts at mach 2 - so not really comparable to f1's rather palty 200mph.

And to be honest, they don't need to withstand penetration as such, just need to deflect enough energy go give better protection that a visor alone.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.