Old 30 Oct 2019, 23:14 (Ref:3937734)   #79
holden151
Rookie

New Zealand
Sydney
holden151 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Just watched (skimmed) the Sat race last night and the Courtney/Heimgartner incident caught my attention, including JC's interview afterwards claiming if you have an overlap you don't have to lift when you hit another car. Obviously race control disagreed because he got a penalty (which Larko didn't mention), but I'd like to see the rule that says you are allowed to turn someone into the fence. Especially when he caused the circumstance where he was able to get his nose a few centimetres along side by tapping Heimgartner on corner exit and upsetting his car balance.

I can see the code of driving conduct section 3.7 saying you are allowed to use the full width of the track so long as no portion of the other car is alongside (aka 'a millimetre overlap'), but I wouldn't have thought that gives the other car license to keep into the throttle in the case of contact - that might breach 3.9 not permitted to gain advantage from contact. If you push a car out of your way you've gained an advantage!

Does anyone have an opinion on that?

My thoughts were that James bumped Andre at T4 exit enough to slow Andre down. As Andre was recovering he ran to a car width of the wall, James with superior grip went to go down the side of him. Instead he makes contact with the right rear of the bumper, causing Andre to slide further to the right and with James not lifting it fences him. To me this is equal to what Tander did in 2016 to Fabs and the penalty should have been similar. PLP plus grid penalty for following race.