Thread: DP's Fix
View Single Post
Old 28 Mar 2003, 15:42 (Ref:551198)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxSport
If Bernie buys CART I suggest that it will be the ALMS that is finished off. CART is a much bigger "enemy" of the ALMS than the G/A is.

Even if the DP class goes away, G/A will likely stay around as a GT series. The Frances aren't likely to be going anywhere either.
I doubt that Bernie can fix in one fell swoop what ails CART, so they won't kill off ALMS. Of course, your assertion of The Death Of ALMS is predicated on your usual hostility towards the LMP classes, which I don't see going away regardless of the financial outlook. Guys who want to race, will race. And if they want cars that look like race cars first and foremost, prototypes will survive. It's been going on for 50 years now...

That said, your second sentence rings true to me. I think the management of ALMS figured that one out when the whole Miami debacle of last year happened. The evidence would be in the way the two camps portrayed the event - CART were all over the idea of more joint events, while the ALMS people were very cool to it. Of course, the failure to secure an European date in May, coupled with the Mexico cancellation, surely confirmed that. (I'm speculating on the first failure being influenced by Pook's foray into Europe to secure dates in lieu of Chicago and Rockingham; the second failure has been linked to CART by others, but I have no authoritative information.)

I also think you're right about Grand Am becoming all-GT (and I think you can eliminate the "if" statement); what do you think that means for the Grand Am Cup?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James