View Single Post
Old 9 Nov 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3861949)   #1203
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Did he not say all this about RWD while he was setting himself up to be in a Subaru? Marketing... sell the product by telling everyone it’s the best.
I think the height of Plato's comments about RWD can be traced back to the 2014 season, where his efforts were an attempt to get concession for his FWD car - or to plant the justification for why he would not take a title.

'If you take into account the weight Colin was carrying, he’s a good eight tenths quicker than me; that’s not a whinge, that’s just fact. What we are witnessing, unless the regulations are changed, is the death of front-wheel drive in the BTCC. Rear-wheel drive is a better package for a racing car than front-wheel drive,'

The fact that the top three positions in the 2015 championship, along with the 2016 drivers' title, were taken by drivers of FWD cars shows that Plato's comments should not be taken in any seriousness.

Everything Plato says is usually an explanation of why he is the best. If he can't take any credit for his driving, he'll take credit for his marketing, contract negotiations, car development or engineering prowess. It will always be placing the reason for not getting a win firmly outside of things he has control over, and not being in a RWD car was the favoured topic at the time.

In scale of importance to his comments:

1 - Plato is the best driver
2 - Plato has the best sponsors on the grid
3 - Plato has put together the best team on the grid
4 - Plato has brought the best car to the grid
5 - The regulations stop Plato from winning
6 - Another driver took Plato out
7 - Another driver broke the rules
8 - The car is not right for Plato to win
9 - The team are letting Plato down
9,999,999 - Plato made a mistake in the car that prevented a win.