View Single Post
Old 27 Sep 2019, 02:14 (Ref:3930305)   #35
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was waiting for some resolution on the protest before posting my thoughts on the weekend. Since it looks like the final call on the appeal is going to be a while, here goes:

Negative:
-The SRO seriously messed up with the safety car debacle. I'm not sure what they were thinking, FCYs have never been simply cancelled over here. KPAX was massively robbed. SRO should have fixed the issue in the final 10 minutes. Now it's in USAC's hands, hopefully they at least partially rectify the situation.

-As TR noted the BoP and tire mandates were really messed up. Bentley and Porsche didn't seem to have much of a shot against the Ferrari or the Acuras. And this at RA, which usually sees a strong showing from the Continental and 911 in GT3.

Positive:
-It's Road America. It's awesome.

-RA fans turned out for the event. It wasn't in remotely the same zipcode as the Indy event, but it was miles ahead of the last two WC events I'd attended (VIR 2019 and WGI 2018). There wasn't a huge camping crowd, probably partially due to the time of year and weather, but the day attendance, even with the rain, was really solid on all three days.

-One thing SRO did really well was the pre-race parade/party at Siebkens in Elkhart Lake. It was a blast, and it also had a solid turnout. It is definitely something they should make an annual event.

Final thoughts: the rain was simultaneously miserable and a lot of fun, and resulted in some great photos. And congrats to Mike and Realtime on a very well done victory.