Old 26 Feb 2013, 03:35 (Ref:3210962)   #11
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
If there's presence, there's some level of impairment (whether you're cognitive of it or not)... So if you're not going zero tolerance, the question becomes how do you judge 'impairment'?
As an example, by the time I hit the measure of 'impairment' for driving on the road (400 micrograms of Alcohol per litre of breath) I'm well well past a state where I'd say I'm safe to drive... For me, as Murph would say it's a case of 'eliminate the risk'.
Yes i agree with you to some point, i am the same, if i have the 4 or 5 beers in the allocated timeframe, i too feel incapable of operating a motor vehicle.

However i disagree when you say that presence = impairment. For e.g. cannabis stays in your system for weeks, and in some cases months. If you had partaken in some cannabis (which i DONT condone at all however) lets say two weeks ago at a party, a drug test will show presence, but to say that person is impaired by that drug two weeks on, in my view is not correct.

I have heard of cases in my industry where individuals have been fired due to a drug test showing presence of cannabis from something they did at a concert/party or whatever some weeks beforehand. They are not impaired at the time of testing, but they do have presence.

I would like to add though that i strongly disagree to taking drugs, in particular those that improve performance.