Thread: 2021 Rallying
View Single Post
Old 19 Mar 2021, 11:55 (Ref:4041479)   #64
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
I dunno, WRC Mini showed genuine pace before the manufacturer pulled the plug...but kinda got the feeling they pulled the plug as a result of Prodrive.

It was a different way of going about a WRC programme. They had a WRCar design, even before a manufacturer showed any interest.

When it was unveiled it turned out to be Mini - and all the history that brought. From what I remember, BMW-Mini funded the engine and development, but after that Prodrive would need to find most of the budget.
I remember it even featured on BBC News programmes - which was surely an opportunity to bring in sponsorship. Sadly, no sponsorship materialised - an indictment of the poor level of WRC promotion.
However, the car showed decent pace early on, and had a PowerStage win in Catalunya, then a 4th place in GB - so all was set well for 2012.
And then the bombshell just before Christmas - when Meeke announced he'd lost the drive as he had no money to bring.

And from then on it all petered out....in fact Motorsport Italia then ran the programme.