View Single Post
Old 15 Jan 2014, 21:07 (Ref:3354418)   #116
Machin
Racer

Machin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
How many laps would make the Lola Dryson? (2/3)?
I've constructed the chart below from the 2012 Le Mans qualifying results... its only an estimate based on non-hybrid cars only, in which I have assumed that the average power output over the lap is 80% of maximum output. The Deltawing figure is based on the fact that the car managed a typical stint of 11 laps with a 40 litre tank (3.65 litres per lap), and the team declared a BSFC of 235g/kW.hr for their engine.

The dotted line is based on the LMGTE PRO, LMP2 and LMP1 performances.

The Drayson Lola times are based on a car weight of 1000kg+70kg driver and their website says that the onboard energy storage is 30kW.Hr which corresponds to just over 100MJ per ton for a lap of 3:20. I've then fitted the performance it to the dotted line. Remember this car has 860bhp onboard and in pure EV form doesn't weigh that much more than an LMP1, so the one lap performance isn't that surprising.... over two laps they only have half the energy to play with so would need to wind down the power correspondingly....

It would be awesome if the ACO would let the Drayson Lola do a demonstration lap at Le Mans to show what an EV could do....

Last edited by Machin; 15 Jan 2014 at 21:21.