View Single Post
Old 21 Mar 2017, 20:48 (Ref:3720481)   #473
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I think with the shape of the cars and the horrible paint jobs, it is harder to follow the races. That is a big problem for one. I liked Indycar much more in the 1990's and early 2000's than I do in 2017. Diss the old I.R.L. all you want but those races were not always predictable and you would get surprise winners a lot. I have nowhere near the interest in Indycar now than I did say 10-15 years ago. I follow sportscars mainly now.

On that point it will be interesting to see if Sebastain Bourdais can win 3 Florida races in a row at Sebring this Saturday.
My interest peaked between 99 to 06 in the IRL which constantly produced brilliant, close racing with like you say, some surprise winners.

Alex Barron winning in the Blair car for one, think that was 2002? If people actually gave the IRL a chance and got over their issues with TG then the series would have had for more fans. Unification was great but has it actually improved the on track product? I would say no. There is also way too many dull road and street courses which have been added the schedule at the expense of ovals. Ovals of course being the very foundation that US open wheel racing is built on.

What we have now probably does have a deeper field of professional drivers but I find my interest levels have dropped considerably. I don't think the racing will ever get as bad as some of the shams that Champ Car treated us too but it's gone a bit stale for sure. The rubbish tv deal we have in the UK for coverage doesn't excatly help exposure either