View Single Post
Old 26 Mar 2018, 06:38 (Ref:3810813)   #64
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Jan De Rooy and , from memory , his brother too, raced Dafs (not Daff) in rallycross in the early 70s, and I saw them race at Croft .

Alfasuds - hmm- lazy classic car journalists have perpetuated the story that every single Alfasud went rusty overnight . It ain't so- I had two and neither rusted , even the one which was 5 years old when I sold it.My first , an early 1350Ti was sublime and trouble free ; the second , also a 1350Ti but with twin Dell' Ortos was ruined by overgearing and shoddy build quality ( door flying open , wipers colliding, window falling down door and staying there, electrical gremlins etc )

But the first was ,with a 2CV and Sevens, the most fun to drive car I have owned . I ended up with a Mk 1 Golf GTi - now 'iconic ' of course, but in reality worse in every way but go compared to the Sud . The Alfa's steering , brakes , handling , grip and ride were almost laughably better than the much lauded GTi.