View Single Post
Old 27 Jul 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2509401)   #7
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO Racing View Post
Thanks a lot for this career review. It's very helpful.

Nevertheless, I maintain that the chassis come from the German maker Gepard, as french magazine from that period and even Ian Briggs in his book "Endurance Racing 1982-1991" report it.

By th way, can you tell much more about the Danish Special Saloon Car series you mentionned? Photos? Cars and drivers information? Races data?
I absolutely agree with you about it being a Gepard-chassis.

For starters, here's a link to the official website of the Danish SSC class:
http://www.specialsalooncar.dk/

The class saw it's Danish debut i 1974 being promoted by auto magazine Motor-Journalen. 8 cars turned up for the first meeting but as the year progressed 20+ cars would be the norm, and this at a time when most other classes saw fever and fever cars. Initial rules said that any saloon car homologated for group 1 or 2 from 1966 was allowed and as an ingenious way of cutting costs only 5½" rims wide rims were allowed. No idea of turning up with a big expensive machine if you can't make any use of it thanks to skinny tyres.
With the cars not being terrible advanced, they raced on both tarmac and dirt tracks in those early years. 1977 saw the first official title being awarded, while 1981 saw the SSC and Group 5 catagories combined to a single championship. A Nordic ruleset came about in 1982, primarely being contested by Swedes and Danes, with Finnland joining in 1985. Norway just didn't had any great circuit racing traditions and never really featured in what was know as Super Saloon Car from 1982-1993. In 1994 it was back to Special Saloon Car but that was really just a name change.

By the early 2000's the class almost collapsed. Cars had gotten way to expensive at the front leaving little to the back markers, and all of a sudden nobody cared to race Special Saloon Cars. The current multi class structure was introduced in 2003 and within a few season the class was back to its former strenght.

I will return with some driver and car profiles, but this is it for now.

Jesper