View Single Post
Old 19 Sep 2018, 13:11 (Ref:3851423)   #28
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mettet was not an IMG track, I think it was a venue that was on the verge of building a rallycross track and like Lydden and a few others IMG gave them a sort of nudge to do so. I doubt IMG had a hand in any of it, but I think they do in the newer tracks like Latviz, Silverstone, Barcelona and Hockenheim when it ran.

What I feel is that IMG are trying to do what the Supercross and MXGP and speedway and the like do and take a team to venues to BUILD a track for the contract length, obviously they don't pay for it, this is all paid for by the venue/promoter, IMG pay nothing.

Do you think WRX has outgrown it? I do not. I feel it is a fairly poor track for fans, seeing that you can only watch from certain areas, but again, that is seemingly what IMG wants, big stands, overlooking a central arena type, RC racing deal.

Mettet has a long history of motorsport, the track was built yes for rallycross, and with WRX in mind clearly, but WRX feel they have outgrown that venue. It has been used for a few other things too.

They have a clear directive, and that is to take RX to F1 locations as often as possible.

I have no real idea why, but as with the pre-existing venues they don't give a toss about what has been spent to build them, they only think they can sell more tickets at an F1 venue. And then charge the track for the build or the consultation.

And Silverstone proved, that doesn't always work, decent though the crowd was, I doubt it was significantly bigger than Lydden.

But what I am betting is that Silverstone PAID a lot more to have it than Lydden, hence the insane pricing.