View Single Post
Old 12 Jun 2006, 20:32 (Ref:1632896)   #3
GordonG
Racer

GordonG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had my eyes done using LASIK about 8 years ago, which was state of the art at the time. £3k for both eyes from a harley street surgeon (could have done it ofr half that from a pile it high sellit cheap shop but went with the top guy for the same reason as Denis).

I found it fantastic. I had to wear eye shields in bed for a while (frighten the missus waking up next to "The Fly") but had no pain at all, and better eyesight than I had ever had from glasses or lenses.

My experience was not painful - I describe it as going to the dentist before he hits a nerve - not painful by not pleasant having someone mess with your face. They gave me a tomazepam sedative, which was great ;-) 0930 appointment, home by 1230, woke up from my nap at home at 1800 and could see perfectly. No problems since.

YMMV - as with any surgery there are risks, but IME they are far outweighted by the benefits - I hadnt swum since I was 16, and now swim 6k a week and am far fitter, and it's also greatly benefited my racing ;-) Do your research by the internet and go into it with your eyes open if you'll pardon the pun.

That said, my GF saw the look on my face as I came out of having the first eye done and says she will never have it done herself. I cant remember it cos I was stoned on tomazepam...

G