View Single Post
Old 19 Oct 2007, 08:45 (Ref:2044339)   #63
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schnitzer built this dramatically lower car during the first half of 1979 and hoped it would give Manfred Winkelhock an advantahe over the Zakspeed Capri of Hans Heyer.The car was tested by Winkelhock at the Salzburgring track but appeared to offer no real advantage and the car was not raced until Marc Surer ran it at Hockenheim.Over the winter it was further refined and in the 1980 DRM series two cars were raced By Hans Stuck and Walter Brun. Stuck had some success but the car never gave the leap in performance that was hoped for it.A car was sold to Karl Oppitzhauser from Austria who ran it in a variety of events in vivid orange with white spots! He also bizzarely used it on a hillclimb event with a downhill skiier strapped on the roof! I think Schnitzer retained one car which raced in Thailand(?) driven br Roberto Ravaglia in'84(?) sponsored by JPS in their black with gold pinstripe colours. I do not know of the whereabouts of either car today(anyone know?) Pictures of the car can be found on the Racingsportscars site and also on Oppitzhausers own website. I hope this helps.Ian.