View Single Post
Old 25 Oct 2009, 01:50 (Ref:2569040)   #128
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry to introduce the subject of weather. I live on the Gold Coast and have lived in SEQ for 40 yrs. Probably my mention of weather is more related to what I have experienced over that period. Believe me Jan Feb March cand be VERY wet and looking up the records for Beaudesert since 1898 they are by far the wetest months. By the way I used Beaudesert because in weather record terms the first available for Southport are mid 1930, and of course the rest of the Gold Coast virtually did not exist before about 1950. I'll grant this the weather patern certainly has changed over the past few years. But theb we are told by some that Climate change is not happening!
My main reason for contributing was to outline the sort of budget that had been used, and potentialy what is available. The whole point about the Government subsidy is that it is intended to be an internationl event, and in particular to attract international TV coverage and international visitors.
With the declining drawing power of Champ Car in it's later years, and the very ordinary show put on by the IRL the V8s have become the dominant drawcard and that has lead to a down market trend in the crowd attracted. It has moved from Champagne and Chic to Beer and Booze. Great party, but the Coast is starting to wonder if those were the guests we wanted to invite.
The other point is trying to find a category that will attract international TV. The F3 carnival linked with Macau is the best suggestion I have heard, and would provide at least some variety for local fans and TV audiences to the V8s. The mobile Museum being shown at present is great, but for one who watched those cars really competing, it is a bit of an anti climax.