Thread: Tech Issue Pirelli-The Tyre Story..
View Single Post
Old 13 Dec 2019, 14:45 (Ref:3946530)   #1833
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think it's wrong for Pirelli to bring in something new at this time. They should wait for 2021
I can't remember the back story, but I assume that given the complaints about the tires, that FOM and the teams asked them to make improvements. They probably said they could do something for 2020. Then there is a separate topic of new 2021 regulations (and I think the 18" wheel). I wonder if the left and right hands were not really in sync on this. That why bring out a new compound for one year? Maybe the thought is that this could be an improvement going into 2021 and that the new compound could carry over.

I suspect in the end, the teams are focusing on 2021 cars and development toward the new rules. Given resource restrictions that kick in, it's best to do as much development pre-cost cap as you can. So new compounds in 2020 would require teams to learn new tires for 2020 and the characteristics of those would change yet again as they go to lower sidewalls.

(Too late to make my comments short), but in the end, just wait until 2021 when the have all new tires. Don't spend extra money for 2020. And who knows maybe the tires were actually better (or not bad), but just different enough that teams said "no" to allow for resources to be devoted elsewhere.

Richard