Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 17 May 2019, 07:40 (Ref:3904296)   #3561
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That last paragraph is a bit simplistic Peter. For instance, safety regulations for the monocoque will mean a convergence of "body" design, just as road cars are beginning to look similar. I'm sure there are other areas where commonality will occur too.

Otherwise I agree, this is an engineering formula and the engineers should be allowed freedom of thought. Great minds are constrained at the moment and we're seeing no giant leaps like ground effect, turbocharging or even slick tyres. I cannot believe that the current F1 car is the ultimate in design expression, there will be something new in the minds of clever people if only they were allowed to let it loose.

Personally I think the "budget cap" will sort itself out. Main boards will soon start to question the £££ being spent on F1, the whole edifice will come tumbling down to be replaced by a leaner F1 evolving from within.

I hear it from all levels of the sport "it's not fair, X is winning because he has more money than me." Sadly, it's always been so. Motor racing is a deep pocket sport. However, opportunity has never been better because thanks to commercial links at least you can use someone else's money now instead of your own!

I yearn for the days when clever engineering could beat big money, to me THAT'S what F1 is all about. And I think that's what would bring the punters flocking back; young or old, everyone loves an underdog winning.

EDIT: Sorry if I went OT. I couldn't remember if I was on Future Rule Changes, How to Fix F1 or whatever!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk