View Single Post
Old 22 Jun 2019, 08:47 (Ref:3913432)   #52
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

(Photo: John Phillips)

More details below on the Lydden race, as remembered by Simon Ridge after seeing these old photos taken by John Phillips back in 1969:-

"The race in the photos at Lydden was on 24th August 1969. I was on Pole, and alongside was Mike Chittenden in his Morris Minor with a full race Ford 1650 under the Bonnet. I knew I had to get off the grid fast and keep him behind.
If he had got ahead, I would only have been able to get past on the corners, and with that size engine he was fast down the straights. I got a great start, and after a few laps at 10tenths, pulled out a good lead, so I eased off a bit, but in the last few laps, found I had eased off too much as he had now caught me, and looming in the mirror, I had to drive on the limit to keep ahead.
At the Flag there was just one second in it. Too close for comfort. I won the Jack Playford Trophy, and got fastest lap. The other Minis were some way back.
Strange thing, the time was 50.8, and I had broken the Lap Record the previous year on 20th July at 50.6, which I held for two and a half years. Obviously not 10tenths enough !!
The car had a new engine fitted, and Automex had put a “Running In “ sign in the back window. Talk about Red rag to a Bull !!! Think you can just see it in the photo."
Simon Ridge