View Single Post
Old 21 May 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3823738)   #401
B0U170NS
Racer

B0U170NS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
I would suggest part of it is that the way GT3 racing is going, it's more about iconic races and less about championships. Silverstone is just another round of the championship. Let's be honest, Blancpain is Spa 24 hours, and a lot of other lesser stuff. Even as someone who loves Spa 24, and GT3, the sheer volume of SRO gets tedious / confusing at times, it's over saturation.
Disagree with you 100%. How's it over saturation? Sure you have GT3 with GT Open, British GT, 24 hour series, Britcar, GT cup etc, but where else in the UK can you see 40+ GT3 cars competing. Only once a year at Silverstone with the Blancpain Endurance Championship.

Quote:
As for Silverstone, personally, and I'm sure plenty will disagree, I find is a pretty souless and boring place to watch racing. Compared to Spa, or somewhere like Brands, it's boring and corporate and not a spectator friendly venue.
Yes it might not be as picturesque as Brands Hatch or Oulton Park, but at least the cars can actually race, and overtake, at Silverstone. The sprint cup the other week was basically the Monaco GP.

Quote:
It's a lot more than the landscape, it's things like grandstand access, and photography opportunities. Compared to other circuits, the viewing experience isn't great.

I would suggest it is nothing to do with "Anyone who doesn’t enjoy 50 GT3s bombing round Silverstone needs to think about whether the sport is right for them." I love the sport as much as anyone else, but Silverstone has been clinging on based on its reputation for far too long, rather than the product it is proving. It isn't a Blancpain issue, WEC at Silverstone has the same problems.

Blancpain should be an easy sell to the UK. The fact the on track product is good, yet it isn't selling tickets suggests the problem is something else, I would suggest Silverstone is a big part of it.
What do you mean grandstand access. There's plenty of it! There's far less at Brands, or Donington or any other UK circuit. The problem in this country is that people don't seem interested in Endurance or GT racing. Silverstone doesn't have any problems selling out the GP or the Touring Cars.

It seems that every year after the Blancpain Championship at Silverstone, people come on this thread to spout out how much they dislike Silverstone.