View Single Post
Old 26 Jun 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3833161)   #14
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Over the years, I've had a seats in T23, T20, T19, T18, T17, T5 and T1.

Of all of them, T17 gets the nod over T18 because it is pillarless, so no risk of a partially obscured view if you are unlucky with your seat allocation.

Watching the build up to the race is important to me, which I can do from T17. And, for the first few hours of the race, I try to avoid putting on my headphones and listening to RLM (once they're on, that's me hooked until the end of the 24 hours), using the big screen opposite, live timing app, pitlane traffic, and the little bit of the track we can see, to follow the race. T17/T18 also have the best 'facilities' on the circuit (toilets, food and drink outlets, indoor timing screens etc).

That said, I like T23 (where we were last year) for once the race is underway. You feel very involved there, with the Ford chicane, pit in, and a view all the way up the pit straight until the cars turn right to go up to Dunlop. There's also a big screen opposite. But, because the seats have no back supports, it becomes very uncomfortable after a while, so if you intend to stay in your grandstand seat for long periods, T23 may not be the best choice.

As a non-photographer, T34 has no appeal for me whatsoever. I know it's popular with many, but you can't see into the pits, you are a long way from a big screen (unless you are at the 'pit in' end of the stand), and if it's a hot one, you will very quickly bake in your seat once the race has started, due to the trajectory of the sun. It has always baffled me why people choose it, especially in those years when the sun forces people out of their seats row by row as it engulfs the grandstand, but that's just my own personal opinion.

For a first visit, I think a seat in a stand opposite the pits is the way to go (any from T21-T16). It's also good to know you have the sanctuary of a grandstand seat if you really need it (inclement weather, or simply not feeling too good). But, there's absolutely no doubt that the best viewing areas on the circuit have no grandstands, Arnage/Indianapolis, Mulsanne, Tertre Rouge, and the bank at the bottom of the esses, don't miss out on these areas simply because you have bought a grandstand seat and feel you should make full use of it.