View Single Post
Old 6 Jun 2001, 13:05 (Ref:101803)   #1
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Legal Analysis

Now that L'affaire Newey has cooled somewhat, I would like to see some informed speculation as to the outcome. I took a course in U.S. Contract Law so long ago that I will not reveal the date. Therefore I am just going to pose the questions and let some other(s) with a better background in UK or EEC law provide the answers.

Assumptions: (1) Newey's preexisting contract with McL expired in August, 2002. (2) He first negotiated and executed a new contract with Jag beginning in August 2002. (3) McL then talked him into signing a second contract, covering his services after August 2000.

Questions:

(1,A) Does Jag have a case against Newey? (For breach of contract?)

(1,B) If so, what are Jag's remedies? (Specific Performance? i.e. Newey is forced to honor the first of the two contracts and work for Jag after 8/02. Monetary Damages for Breach of Contract? If so, how determined?

(2,A) Does Jag have a case against McL? (For "alienation of affection"? i.e. McL illegally induced Newey not to perform under his contract.)

(2,B) If so, how would Monetary Damages be determined?

(3) Isn't it more likely that everyone will go back into their caves hissing and spitting?

Let's hear from all you barristers, solicitors, whatevers, out there.