Thread: Puzzles tracks
View Single Post
Old 7 Jul 2012, 11:13 (Ref:3103229)   #13
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Puzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was planning to you know go out tonight, meet new people just in general not be a hermit but instead I decided to draw a race track
StreamValley
idea with this one was to build a race track around two natural constraints common to NZ: waterways and the dimensions imposed on usable land spaces by there position at the bottom of steep sided valleys (you'll have to imagine this one with my sketchup skills a stream and circuit take long enough) which tends to lead to long narrow strips of open land. to turn these to the advantage of the facility the circuit features a main start finish straight that is just short of two kilometers with the cars running down to the first curve at the bottom of the circuit (for reference the top of the circuit is the section where it crosses the stream[just looking at my pictures again i stuffed that on up!]) that takes them onto the sweeping back section that roughly follows alongside the path of the stream till they come over the first culvert into the top complex that winds through several turns till the cars are heading back toward the main straight via the final chicane. as the full track is rather long two extra turns are included that can bypass sections of the track should that suit the even being held and as these are situated before and after the pit are the track can also be run in a flt oval configuration.

notes:
SBF: i had a go with the method you mentioned but as i had buggered around with various bits of the track whilst making it it doesn't have a consistent track width estimating the the full track at averaging 20m width gives me a value of approximately 6km and with the oval that should be about 30m wide all around it's about 1.4 km.
in some areas I've shown a solid barrier there would also be barriers for the pit area and with the full course in use temporary barriers would be erected so that no cars could find themselves flying straight on into a wall. As i couldn't find any textures that represented them well i've done the tyre bundles with checkerboard sides and granite tops 'cause if they going to look completely unlike what they are they may as well look like stylish kitchen furniture.
Attached Thumbnails
StreamValley_Circuit1.PNG   StreamValley_Circuit2.PNG   StreamValley_Circuit3.PNG  

Attached Files
File Type: skp StreamValley_Circuit.skp (309.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Puzzle; 7 Jul 2012 at 11:22.