Thread: SKG's tracks
View Single Post
Old 30 Nov 2015, 00:53 (Ref:3594337)   #184
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, that took a little longer than I would have liked, but here is the finished circuit.

Thanks SBF for your suggestion, I had to straighten the last 100m of the straight, but there is now a sensible gap between the track and pit exit with almost 200m of visability for cars on track to react to cars leaving the pits.

The full circuit itself is 17 turns, 3.73km long, or 2km if the shortcut is taken. It is characterised by the fast sweeping turns in the middle sector, and the corner at the northeast of he circuit, imitating The famous Old hairpin corner at Donington, except smaller and mirrored!

The final turn underwent several changes as well, it used to a much larger apex. The proximity of the pitwall at track-out prompted a change to move the apex back up the track, and effectively turning it into a kink. It works overall, reducing corner speed and ensuring the cars are straight and accelerating when the pitwall pinches towards the track.

The shortcut is only suitable for club racing, since the access road for the paddock crosses it in order to reach the bridge on the back straight.

My general style recently has been to create circuits which are narrow in profile and reducing the amount of land area used. I just thought this was an interesting trend and I have another design on the go which is of a similar style.

As always, any thoughts are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
plan.png   option 3.png   1.png  

2.png   4.png   3.png